Google launches Android O developer preview with background limits, notification channels, and Picture in Picture
Google instantly launched the first Android O developer preview, obtainable for receive now at developer.android.com. The preview consists of an updated SDK with system photographs for the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Participant, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, the official Android Emulator, and there’s even an emulator for testing Android Wear 2.0 on Android O.
Beforehand, Google has unveiled the next Android version and released the accompanying developer preview at its I/O developer conference. That changed closing yr with the discharge of the first Android N developer preview in March 2016, along with the Android Beta Program, which lets you get early Android builds via over-their-air updates on Nexus devices.
This yr, Android O is getting previewed early like Nougat was, nevertheless the primary preview isn’t being made obtainable via Android Beta. Google is making this preview obtainable by handbook receive and flash solely to emphasize it is for builders solely and by no means supposed for each day or shopper use.
Other than that, the an identical pointers apply. That’s an early look of the next mannequin of Android, which is being often known as Android O until Google picks a status starting with that letter. The aim is to let builders play with the assemble early, check out their apps, and gives their strategies sooner than further particulars are shared at I/O 2017, scheduled for May 17 to May 19.
Instantly’s preview consists of the subsequent APIs and choices (nevertheless chances are you’ll depend on somewhat extra, that’s merely the first preview in any case):
- Background limits: Developing on Nougat’s battery life enhancements, Android O has further automated limits on what apps can do inside the background (implicit broadcasts, background corporations, and website updates). These changes will make it easier to create apps which have minimal affect on an individual’s gadget and battery.
- Notification channels: New app-defined lessons for notification content material materials that let builders give prospects fine-grained administration over completely different types of notifications — prospects can block or change the conduct of each channel individually (pictured above), barely than managing the entire app’s notifications collectively. There are moreover new notification visuals and groupings.
- Autofill APIs: Clients can select an autofill app like how they select a keyboard app. The autofill app retailers and secures individual info, resembling addresses, individual names, and even passwords.
- Picture in Picture (PIP): Clients can proceed watching a video whereas they’re answering a chat or hailing a car. Apps can put themselves on this mode from the resumed or a pausing state the place the system helps it; builders can specify the aspect ratio and a set of custom-made interactions (resembling play/pause). Completely different new windowing choices embody a model new app overlay window for apps to utilize as a substitute of system alert window, and multi-display assist for launching an train on a distant present.
- Font resources in XML: Fonts in the meanwhile are a completely supported helpful useful resource type. Apps can use fonts in XML layouts along with define font households in XML by declaring the font style and weight along with the font info.
- Adaptive icons: Builders can now create adaptive icons that the system reveals in quite a few shapes, based totally on a masks chosen by the gadget. The system moreover animates interactions with the icons and reveals them inside the launcher, shortcuts, Settings, sharing dialogs, and inside the overview show.
- In depth-gamut coloration for apps: Imaging app builders can take advantage of devices which have a wide-gamut coloration succesful present. To point out giant gamut photographs, apps may need to enable a flag of their manifest (per train) and cargo bitmaps with an embedded giant coloration profile (AdobeRGB, Skilled RGB, DCI-P3, and so forth.).
- Connectivity: Extreme-quality Bluetooth audio codecs in the meanwhile are supported, and Sony has made their LDAC codec obtainable. New Wi-Fi choices like Neighborhood Acutely aware Networking (NAN), based totally on the Wi-Fi Acutely aware specification, are moreover included so that devices with the appropriate , apps, and shut by devices can uncover and speak over Wi-Fi with out an Net entry degree. The Telecom framework introduces expanded assist for calling apps to greater interoperate with one another and with carrier-made calls. The ConnectionService APIs have been expanded to assist calling apps which want to tell Telecom of their calls nevertheless need not depend upon the system Cellphone app to indicate the choice.
- Keyboard navigation: A further reliable and predictable model for “arrow” and “tab” navigation that aids every builders and end prospects.
- AAudio API for Skilled Audio: A model new native API designed significantly for apps that require high-performance, low-latency audio. Apps using AAudio study and write info via streams.
- WebView enhancements: The multiprocess mode launched in Nougat has been enabled by default and there is now an API to let apps take care of errors and crashes. Builders can resolve of their app’s WebView objects to substantiate URLs by way of Google Protected Looking.
- Java eight APIs and runtime optimizations: Android now helps quite a few new Java Language APIs, along with the model new java.time API. The Android Runtime will be prior to ever sooner than, with enhancements of as a lot as 2x on some software program benchmarks.
- Companion platform contributions: producers and silicon companions have accelerated fixes and enhancements. Particularly, Sony Mobile has contributed larger than 30 operate enhancements and 250 bug fixes to Android O.
Google is asking builders to make their app applicable with Android O so that their prospects can depend on a seamless transition as soon as they enhance. Moreover worth making an attempt out is the alpha launch of the alpha version of the 26.0.0 support library. After you try the first preview, give feedback.