The incidents on the Westminster Bridge and the UK Parliament establishing are nonetheless rising.
Midday on Wednesday, experiences broke that an assailant with a knife had broken into the grounds of the UK Parliament establishing. In any breaking incident like this, it’s onerous to get a clear picture of what actually occurred, as (usually conflicting) particulars of the event trickle out from quite a lot of sources.
Proper right here, then, is a extremely quick info to what we actually know regarding the incident — and what stays unclear. We’ll proceed to switch this as we get additional information.
What everyone knows
- Early on Wednesday, a vehicle careened out of web site guests on Westminster Bridge, a bridge over the River Thames adjoining to Parliament, plowing by means of pedestrians and finally crashing. A minimum of 10 people have been dealt with for accidents on Westminister Bridge itself, primarily based on the London Ambulance Service.
- Shortly afterward, a lone attacker armed with two knives entered the grounds of Parliament.
- The assailant was confronted by police on the grounds sooner than he may obtain entry to the Parliament establishing. The assailant managed to stab one police officer sooner than being shot, primarily based on CBS News. The officer later died.
- Metropolitan Police Assistant Deputy Commissioner Mark Rowley has confirmed that 5 people, along with the attacker, died throughout the assault. A minimum of 40 people have been injured. Rowley named the police officer who died as Keith Palmer, a 48-year-old husband and father. Among the many many injured are a minimal of three French teenage schoolchildren.
- No members of Parliament have been among the many many wounded. After the breach, Prime Minister Theresa May was taken away to safety, and the establishing was positioned on lockdown.
- Rowley said police think about they know the id of the attacker and are working to ascertain any associates, nevertheless declined to supply any further particulars. He talked about the particular person was thought of impressed by Islamist-related worldwide terrorism.
- British police are nonetheless deployed in huge numbers throughout the Westminster area.
- There was no acknowledged declare of responsibility by any organized militant group. The New York Events’s ace terrorism reporter Rukmini Callimachi is monitoring reactions from ISIS and tweeting out what she finds:
1. London police are treating incident near parliament as terror. I'm monitoring ISIS channels & there's no declare. What there could also be is chatter: pic.twitter.com/fHdByU7jz1
— Rukmini Callimachi (@rcallimachi) March 22, 2017
What we don’t know
- What the exact connection between the incident on Westminster Bridge and the stabbings on Parliament grounds are
- Whether or not or not the police are frightened about another violent incidents linked to this one occurring in London within the current day
- The id of the attacker